Skip to main content

Letting your guard down... (week one)

Vulnerability. It is an emotion we have all tried to numb, have attempted to avoid and chosen to ignore. It is really not a feeling that many look to embrace or seek out to experience. It's often associated with discomfort and uneasiness. I have however, come to understand that it is when you find the courage to leave yourself open, let your guard down, lean into the discomfort and experience fear, that this is the time and this is the space that the best of love, beauty and greatness can emerge.

I ever so slowly shifted my hand downwards and hesitantly turned off the ignition and could feel the beat of my heart gradually quicken. I guess it wasn't necessarily a big deal that I was about to go out on a group run. I had been on tons of those and in my experience running communities are always welcoming and friendly. This time however felt different. It wasn't just a run, it was the start of a new beginning, it was the opportunity to meet new people, it was a chance to create friendships and to begin my Canmore journey in a direction I wanted to walk. I felt like it was my first day at a new school and felt as though you would on such a day; excited, exposed, and vulnerable. Would people like me? Could I keep up with them? Was I foolish to think, as a single women entering into her mid thirties, that I could successfully start fresh in a new town,not knowing a soul. Wasn't I supposed to be 'settling down' and having babies right now?

I had been informed, by my one and only Canmore friend, of a few different biking and running groups and I had my sights set on them prior to my arrival. I exchanged emails with the organiser of a group called Canmore Trail Culture, who happily welcomed me, as with all newcomers, with open arms. I was told to bring spikes and a headlamp and of the regular Tuesday timing that I briefly, and confidently acknowledged, without knowing what spikes were or owning a headlamp. At that time, I really didn't know much about this group or it's runners but I have since come to realise that this group and the members involved are so so much more than a group of people who just get together to run.

Equipped with 'spikes' and a newly purchased 80 lumens headlamp (which I now know, is not really enough lumens). I drew my hand from the ignition, and opened the car door to walk towards the house that I arrived at exactly 10 minutes prior to start time. It was -22 Celsius (C) that day, and I wondered how many people would show, but quickly learned that Canmore folk are the definition of 'troopers'. I slowly walked into the house and was greeted with a few smiling faces and was ushered in. I somewhat awkwardly introduced myself to a few people directly surrounding me and engaged in some idle chit chat to wait for the others to arrive.

The group's leader and organiser, whom I had previously exchanged emails with, was referred to as 'Fitzy'. He must be a nice, I thought to myself, as people with nicknames generally are. I observed the group, the smiles, the connections, the playful banter amongst them and the build up of excitement (even with the absurd freezing temperatures) as the minutes to hit the trails drew closer. Still, feeling relativity uncomfortable in the unfamiliar setting, I was singled out as the new girl that evening (in a very nice way and welcoming way mind you), and I gave a quick head tilt, flashed a small smile and then we were off (thank god).

The discomfort melted off my shoulders and I felt at ease as I placed one foot in front of the other and entered into another kind of unknown territory and terrain.  But for me, this was a comfortable place and a familiar place, because I was running. That evening, as we hopped over logs, manoeuvred around trees and ran along what felt like an enchanted trail, I felt the warmth of each of the members who I had chatted with along the way, even with the freezing temperatures. As the run came to a close, my small smile doubled and I knew that I had found something special, and thought to myself, maybe, I had found a home.

Since that first run over two months ago, I have made every effort possible to attend each of the Canmore Trail Culture Tuesday evening trail runs and I will forever support what has been created by Fitzy and his faithful followers. Yes, this is a 'trail running group' and a very good one with some very talented runners but this Tuesday evening run is not just a run. This is a family of people who support each other, it is a network of individuals who care about the community, who connect to others and grow because of them, who cheer on and celebrate each other accomplishments. They smile, laugh and play together and seem to have something secretly figured out in life. And I, am very happy to feel like I too, have found a home amongst this amazing group filled with remarkable people.

Moving to a new town by yourself, quitting your job, saying 'I love you' first, starting your own business,reaching out for help, falling but deciding to get back up, joining a running group, investing in a relationship that may not work out, trying something new, signing up for a race. No matter the endeavour, regardless of how big or small it may appear, doing something that has no guarantees and embracing vulnerability is where some of the greatest of things are born...


Complements of Michael Fitzpatrick (@canmorefitzy, @canmmoretrailculture)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why being a Newfoundlander and not living there is a hard thing to do

On a humid, overcast and foggy Friday night I threw my line into the ocean. We were situated just off the easterly shores of Newfoundland in a quaint coastal town called Portugal Cove. It was only a matter of minutes before my jigger hit the ocean floor. It felt like forever, but soon with a hypothetical ‘thud’, the courting would begin. I was all too familiar with this lure, that now these unsuspecting cod were about to endure. There was nothing overly fancy about this process - a large weighted three-pronged barrel tied to a line and thrown into the ocean with not a morsel of bait on the end. Still though, the cod would bite, time and time again. So why then, were these bait-less, simplistic hooks so appealing to the cod who frequented these shores? I could identify with these creatures of the sea. I couldn't always rationalize the draw and deep connection I had to the rock – but something my heart could always so deeply comprehend. Over the years my head and heart have battled

Boston - A Journey

As I stood there in awe, knee deep in mud, teeth chattering uncontrollably and legs plastered in a paper mache mud, I took in my surroundings. Moments before, we had been ushered off yellow school buses, herded like cattle and directed to wait in large fields until our ‘waves’ were called. Garbage and haggard clothing decorated the ground, people wrapped themselves in garbage bags and lay on the ground huddled close together, trying to find warmth. There were no cell phones to be found, little laughter filled the air and friendly exchanges were few. The freezing temperatures, torrential rains and heavy winds made warmth hard to find and spirits even harder to lift. There was, however, a smell of excitement in the air and an energy that even the strong winds couldn’t tame. I tried to count the endless hours that I, and the 30,000 others who surrounded me had vested into having the opportunity to stand exactly where we were standing, in that treacherous weather, at that that very mo

The Mountains or the Ocean

No blinds mask the window that directly face my bed. Every morning when my eyes open to the world, there are no concrete buildings or telephone wires in my view, there are no horns honking or the morning buzz that most cities bring. What my eyes see is something remarkable, something that is hard to describe through words and something that brings with it an indescribably humble feeling of  insignificance that is demanded in their presence. This feeling by the way, seems to never age. Ha Ling is the mountain that greets me each day and if I catch it at just the right moment a glowing hue upon it's alpine edges seems to dance amongst the surrounding mountain tops and the awe of its beauty can literally take your breath away. These are relatively new feelings for me, introduced and embraced only in the latter third of my life. I was born and raised an islander and exposure to structures such as these, or anything remotely close, was non existent. I was however exposed to a resource