Skip to main content

On your mark, get set.... (Strava CRs, dirtbags and super humans)

There were over twenty people out that evening, standing at attention at the base of a mile long winding hill with an impressive gradient.  The running group I tagged along with on this Thursday evening seemed a little more serious, a tad more focused and not quite as social as the Tuesday Canmore Trail Culture (CTC) group I had been out with the previous week. This group referred to themselves as 'dirtbags' which, hindsight being 20/20, could have possibly served as some clue as to what the evening had in store.

When it was communicated that the workout entailed five sets of this beast of a climb at a 80 percent effort I nearly choked on the tasteless gum I'd been chewing for the past hour. I scanned the group for reactions but no one appeared to be phased by the announcement. I then quickly did the math in my head and with a puzzled look on my face I questioned my addition and multiplication skills. Had I heard that right, were we about to embark on 16 k's of hill interval training at a near full on sprinting pace. Before I could even let that thought digest in my head and question what the hell I had signed up for, the friendly looking man sporting the spandex shorts in the -30 C weather began to count down from 10,  and there really was no turning back at that point. The group seemed to huddle together a little closer and slightly crouch a few inches lower as if they were about to pounce on some unsuspecting prey. Wait a second...was this a race!? why was that guy wearing spandex  shorts in this weather (was there something wrong with him) ?! could I even run 16 k? and why would that nice lady with the eastern European accent from CTC suggest this to me !?

I could feel the evolutionary flight or fight response emerge as I my heart began to pound, breath quicken and hair on the back of my neck rise. As a competitive boxer for the better part of my life, I was much more used to fighting, but in this unique scenario 'running' was shaping up to be what the 'fight' indeed was. I crouched along with the group, and peered ahead at the ridiculous hill we were attempting to defeat and braced myself for what was about to come. And just like that, as my frame of mind shifted, I too was ready to pounce along side our heard.

The intense, but friendly looking chap with the nice smile and spandex shorts, was now shouting a little louder as the numbers wound down; three, two, one. There was no gun shot but the pounding of peoples feet on the pavement may as well have been. With the group tightly huddled around me, I picked up my feet; one step, two, three, four and before I even knew it my hands flew up in the air, body jolted forward and I, the new girl that night, tripped over what probably were my own feet, and landed flat on my face. I don't recall anyone physically jumping over my body as I lay there, face pressing against the cold pavement, but I wouldn't necessarily put it past a group like this,who instinctively, in an almost animal like way wanted to run, compete and push forward. And please don't mistake the reference to these individual as animals in a unkind or insensitive way because the members of the group, albeit intense in a very Canmore way,  are some of the nicest people I've ever come across. These folks aren't truly 'dirt bags' as their name suggests, but people who live for the grind and are a representative sample of a prominent type of people who exists in the town of Canmore. I jumped back on my feet within seconds of the fall and from what I could tell, scraped hands and knees, ripped pants and a bruised ego were the only ramifications of the event. The friendly intense guy felt bad as he directed the group to 'calm down'. I was pretty certain however, that these folks could not be tamed.

Canmore attracts different people for different reasons. There's those more free willed folks who live here for the beauty of the mountains and the spiritual space it offers, those who come to play in the mountains and those who come to play hard, like extraordinarily hard. Per capita, I can't imagine a place in the world that has a denser volume of past Olympians, previous national team athletes, iron men and women, ultra marathoners, world class climbers and bikers and the list goes on and on, all living in one small 11,000 person community. There is a culture of pushing physical limits and boundaries and if you are a 'dirtbag' type person this push can be extremely contagious.  If you want to go further, faster, higher find some friends from this town and I can assure you that if you're open to it, you will be taken to places you've never imagined possible.

A note of caution however, if you choose to befriend these individuals,  before you go to boast of your own achievements, know that the person you're telling has probably ran eight 100 mile ultras or competed at the Olympics or represented Canada all over the world doing some insane sport . Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't share or celebrate your accomplishments with others but these folks may not be the best group to compare yourself to. These significant accomplishments, by the way, you would never know unless someone else told you, as the athletes from Canmore are, generally speaking, some of the most humble people I've ever met. The humility here seems to be a sort of unspoken rule that has become ingrained into the culture. Although people don't necessarily compete out rightly or against one another and talk about their achievements, believe you me, you have never met a similar middle aged-ish demographic (who've I've generally surrounded myself  with) anywhere in the world who are as fierce of competitors as these folks.

Enter Strava, a Canmore athletes dream app. The perfect 'silent' mechanism to compete without ever having to open your mouth. An automatic upload from your wrist to the on line community and bam; your distance, time, pace, and route or 'segment' accomplishments is out there for all to study.  And while everyone is quite sincerely keen to support and 'kudos' the multiple activities folks partake in as the data becomes available, there is most certainly unspoken rivalries amongst 'segments' that people are itching to claim a course record (CR) on. There is no award, or medal, or material item associated with any of these achievements, just a pinky sized computer generated crown shaped icon that appears next to an online profile. And although these little crowns may not seems like a big deal, in Canmore they can be weighted extremely heavily in certain circles.

The workout that chilly winter's evening lasted over 85 minutes and by the end, although completely exhausted, there was such a sense of satisfaction to not only work as hard as we did individually but also as a team and connected community with friendly pushes amongst each other along the way. It may be hard to rationalise or make sense of the willingness and reasons why ordinary people with jobs and kids and bills to pay, well passed their prime and into the middle ages of their life, no longer with the nuggets of world titles or Olympic medals dangling ahead, to motivate them to do 90 minute hill internal training sessions in deep freeze temperatures or to compete for electronic crowns. And while these activities may appear outlandish to some, the point here is that these individuals have found something in their life that lights a fire in their belly, that motivates and focuses their efforts and gives them purpose. There are no right or wrong ways to find purpose but I encourage you to find and invite it into your life. For some, it's having children, others writing a book, signing up for a race, learning to dance or joining a team - it really doesn't matter. So go ahead, commit to something that's meaningful for you because no matter how big or small, even if it's a 'worthless' computer generated crown imagine, it makes life's journey just that much more enjoyable.

E. Woodrow (Woody) @ Lake Minnewanka Givener' in a Dirtbag like manner
Picture by M. Fitzpatrick (Fitzy)













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why being a Newfoundlander and not living there is a hard thing to do

On a humid, overcast and foggy Friday night I threw my line into the ocean. We were situated just off the easterly shores of Newfoundland in a quaint coastal town called Portugal Cove. It was only a matter of minutes before my jigger hit the ocean floor. It felt like forever, but soon with a hypothetical ‘thud’, the courting would begin. I was all too familiar with this lure, that now these unsuspecting cod were about to endure. There was nothing overly fancy about this process - a large weighted three-pronged barrel tied to a line and thrown into the ocean with not a morsel of bait on the end. Still though, the cod would bite, time and time again. So why then, were these bait-less, simplistic hooks so appealing to the cod who frequented these shores? I could identify with these creatures of the sea. I couldn't always rationalize the draw and deep connection I had to the rock – but something my heart could always so deeply comprehend. Over the years my head and heart have battled

Boston - A Journey

As I stood there in awe, knee deep in mud, teeth chattering uncontrollably and legs plastered in a paper mache mud, I took in my surroundings. Moments before, we had been ushered off yellow school buses, herded like cattle and directed to wait in large fields until our ‘waves’ were called. Garbage and haggard clothing decorated the ground, people wrapped themselves in garbage bags and lay on the ground huddled close together, trying to find warmth. There were no cell phones to be found, little laughter filled the air and friendly exchanges were few. The freezing temperatures, torrential rains and heavy winds made warmth hard to find and spirits even harder to lift. There was, however, a smell of excitement in the air and an energy that even the strong winds couldn’t tame. I tried to count the endless hours that I, and the 30,000 others who surrounded me had vested into having the opportunity to stand exactly where we were standing, in that treacherous weather, at that that very mo

The Mountains or the Ocean

No blinds mask the window that directly face my bed. Every morning when my eyes open to the world, there are no concrete buildings or telephone wires in my view, there are no horns honking or the morning buzz that most cities bring. What my eyes see is something remarkable, something that is hard to describe through words and something that brings with it an indescribably humble feeling of  insignificance that is demanded in their presence. This feeling by the way, seems to never age. Ha Ling is the mountain that greets me each day and if I catch it at just the right moment a glowing hue upon it's alpine edges seems to dance amongst the surrounding mountain tops and the awe of its beauty can literally take your breath away. These are relatively new feelings for me, introduced and embraced only in the latter third of my life. I was born and raised an islander and exposure to structures such as these, or anything remotely close, was non existent. I was however exposed to a resource