Skip to main content

Learning to Fight Again...


She walked calmly into the ring with purposeful steps. And although there was usually a smile on her face in those minutes leading up to the opening bell, there was a fire in her eyes and an unmistakable intensity about her. Those surrounding her knew, her friendly mannerisms and gentle demeanour would soon be tucked away and quickly forgotten. As she stood there, directly diagonal to the opponent, her shoulders and body appeared relaxed but her gazed was filled with intention. She peered downward, three feet ahead of her onto what was often a blood stained canvas, intentionally disconnected from the competition. She knew to never become phased by her competitors appearance as she had learned many moons ago that in a boxing ring it was never wise to judge a book by it's cover. She wasn't from a broken home and there was no apparent enduring struggle that she battled, but even if it appeared from the outside there was nothing she needed to fight for, she was, unmistakably, a fighter.  

The fire that fuelled so many of my endeavours lived inside me for a very long time. I'm unsure if it's something people are born with or if it's a learned behaviour, regardless, whether it was in school on a court, field or ring and whether or not I was ever the smartest, most athletic or talented (generally, I most certainly wasn't) what guided any success that came to me was my ability to push, focus and faithfully try to find whatever the best it was I had inside and to try to put it out into the world.  This methodology took me to competitions across the globe, to wearing my country and provincial flag on my jersey in several sports, to degrees, deans lists and boardrooms and to accomplish more than I would have ever thought possible. If super powers are given out at birth, that, for a very long time, was mine.

But sometimes life can get heavy and somewhere along the way, as I entered further into 'adulthood', that fire began to fade. Not many of us can sail through life without taking some blows and everyone has battle wounds that may fade but are never completely forgotten. We all have a story that will break your heart (or has broken their own), and just like you, I have my own. But what I think, or rather, what I know, is one of the most amazing qualities about human beings is our ability to bounce back, to be resilient and to persevere in the most challenging of times or after the most debilitating of events.

So towards the end of one of those challenging life episodes and just when I almost gave in to the pressures that both society and through my own doing had created, someone reminded me of what it felt like to work towards something special, to be excited about a journey and to rediscover what it meant to 'carpe diem', a saying my father preached to me ever since I was a child. That small and simple reminder was enough to set the wheels in motion to slowly move me forward in a direction, I now know, was well worth heading in. It triggered the motivation to sign up for a marathon, set a goal to qualify for one of  North America's most recognised races,  and a few months later with the help of a downloaded running plan, my thoughts to entertain and keep me company, and building internal motivation, I accomplished my goal but above all, along the way, I was reminded of something far more important than qualifying for any race. I remembered how good it felt to work towards something special, to set a goal and feel purposeful in working towards it, the satisfaction gained in the weeds of work and perhaps most importantly, just how important it is to look after, and take care of, myself.

When I regained my confidence and as that fire was slowly refuelled I decided to stop sitting on a fence and to start making some decisions in my life. And just like that, with a step left and not right, before I knew it my life was heading in a completely different direction. Within six months my car was packed, house sold, new lease signed (on a place I hadn't even viewed), majority of my material possessions disbursed amongst friends and I was on the road to Canmore. A place where I didn't know a soul but had assumed by the surrounding spectacular mountains must, have a soul.

I was excited.

Here, in Canmore is where I've been continuously been reminded of what I remembered when I was training for that marathon and of that familiar feeling of nervous excitement as I stood in my corner peering across the ring at my opponent.  For the first time in a long time I've challenged myself to do new things and to say yes more, rather than look for excuses as to why I can't or shouldn't do something. This approach has already led me to meet so many remarkable people, see amazing places, to reengage in the excitement of competition, and try things that I may never would have done if the spirit of the people in Canmore didn't reinforce and remind me how to fight again. The gentle demeanour remains, but the fighter has reentered the ring. Thanks Canmore friends. 


Canada (me) vs. Greece 54 kilos AIBA Prime Ministers World Tournament (2010)
Nimble Bear PACE Trail Running Race (April 2017) (with amazing people Houda n' Fitzy)

5 Peaks Trail Race Terwillegar (April 2017)

Salty Dog Enduro Mountain Bike Race (April 2017) (with amazing person Miranda)





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why being a Newfoundlander and not living there is a hard thing to do

On a humid, overcast and foggy Friday night I threw my line into the ocean. We were situated just off the easterly shores of Newfoundland in a quaint coastal town called Portugal Cove. It was only a matter of minutes before my jigger hit the ocean floor. It felt like forever, but soon with a hypothetical ‘thud’, the courting would begin. I was all too familiar with this lure, that now these unsuspecting cod were about to endure. There was nothing overly fancy about this process - a large weighted three-pronged barrel tied to a line and thrown into the ocean with not a morsel of bait on the end. Still though, the cod would bite, time and time again. So why then, were these bait-less, simplistic hooks so appealing to the cod who frequented these shores? I could identify with these creatures of the sea. I couldn't always rationalize the draw and deep connection I had to the rock – but something my heart could always so deeply comprehend. Over the years my head and heart have battled

Boston - A Journey

As I stood there in awe, knee deep in mud, teeth chattering uncontrollably and legs plastered in a paper mache mud, I took in my surroundings. Moments before, we had been ushered off yellow school buses, herded like cattle and directed to wait in large fields until our ‘waves’ were called. Garbage and haggard clothing decorated the ground, people wrapped themselves in garbage bags and lay on the ground huddled close together, trying to find warmth. There were no cell phones to be found, little laughter filled the air and friendly exchanges were few. The freezing temperatures, torrential rains and heavy winds made warmth hard to find and spirits even harder to lift. There was, however, a smell of excitement in the air and an energy that even the strong winds couldn’t tame. I tried to count the endless hours that I, and the 30,000 others who surrounded me had vested into having the opportunity to stand exactly where we were standing, in that treacherous weather, at that that very mo

Girl Guides or Boy Scouts

Beyond the the leaf, the trunk and the roots there is a soil that helps us emerge as individuals. What happens to us along the path of growth is unique. The conditions of the soil and where we choose to lay our roots makes us special. Even amidst the not so fine growing conditions where I grew up, I was never short on hypothetical nutrients, sunlight and support - the same nutrients, sunlight and support that I have found here in Canmore.  The biggest fight I ever recall getting into with my mother was when I was ten years old. While at a provincial hockey tournament in a small town nestled in the heart of Newfoundland, called Harbour Grace, she refused to allow me to get my favourite number shaved into the back of my, already very boyish 'skateboard', haircut. I didn't understand why being a girl should be correlated with my hairstyle, but that was a battle which was clear, I wasn't going to win. My mother however, was most accepting and supportive of my atypica